Thursday, November 6, 2008

Making Yogurt

A few weeks ago, my husband and I happened to be at his aunt's house on the day that she needed to make yogurt. I've been interested in self-reliance, food storage, and making my own food but had never thought to make yogurt. I did it the once with his aunt, got the recipe, and finally made some of my own yesterday. It hasn't turned out to be the quality that hers is yet, but not bad for a first try. It'll be great in smoothies and in food that we make, that's for sure.

The recipe:
Yogurt

You need:
2 2/3 C powered milk
1 can evaporated milk (unsweetened)
1/2 C plain yogurt (you can use store bought for the first time)
warm water

glass jars and seals (5 1-pint size jars work perfectly)
large pot and cover

Directions:
Mix powdered milk and warm water (enough to make 2 qts)

Add evaporated milk and stir.

Add yogurt and stir.

Pour into jars, place jars in pot, pour hot water around (tap water is fine)
Put cover on pot, let sit for 5 hours.

If not set, stir in 1 tsp yogurt per pint and change water, let sit for 2 more hours.



I did this but forgot to put the cover on for the first 5 hours, so it took a little longer.

No comments: